WHO WE ARE
Welcome to Cattle Bank & Trust public website. We are a family-owned, community bank that is headquartered in Seward, Nebraska with five locations in Seward and Lincoln. Chartered in 1873 the bank is the third oldest bank charter in the State of Nebraska. The bank and the Cattle family are committed to serving the counties of Seward and Lancaster, as well as Southeast Nebraska.
We understand that when it comes to selecting an institution to meet your financial service needs you have a number of options and we appreciate and value the relationships that we establish and grow over time. We believe the most important differentiator that we have to provide beyond our competitive financial services is the people that deliver them, our employees, officers and directors. For us at Cattle Bank & Trust it is personal……it is personal in the relationships that we build with our customers and the communities we serve.
Cattle Bank & Trust is customer driven – focused on providing a superior level of service and a comprehensive line of financial products. We are dedicated to providing leadership and supporting the long-term economic growth of our customers, communities, employees and shareholders.
OUR CORE VALUES
The core values of Cattle Bank & Trust are…..
Trust – Trust is the foundation of everything we do. We take very seriously our role as your financial service provider and will provide you with a complete line of financial products and services in a confidential and secure manner.
Stability – We believe in conservative financial management. Our financial statement is a reflection of this conservative philosophy. Given the key role that we play as an economic engine for the communities we serve we take this responsibility very seriously.
Leadership – We believe in being a leader within our industry and the communities we serve. The financial services we provide and the delivery channels from which we deliver them are and will be convenient, cutting edge and reasonably priced. Staff of the bank will take an active role in the development and betterment of our communities.
Customer Focus – Everything we do as a financial institution, every decision we make as a bank, is focused on and driven by the customer. The customer is the reason for being and we value the relationships we establish with each and every customer.
Community Service – Being a community bank our success is tied to the success of the communities we serve and vice versa. Our employees, officers and directors live and are active in the communities that we are located in. We give back to our communities through our involvement and providing resources, financial or otherwise, to numerous community service organizations and public entities.
TRADITION YOU CAN TRUST
– A HISTORY OF CATTLE BANK & TRUST
(Portions of the following are reprinted with permission of the Seward County Independent by Charlyne Berens, originally printed in 1979. Additional updates provided in 1992, 2012 and 2013.)
When Claudius Jones opened the forerunner of today’s Cattle Bank & Trust of Seward in 1873, the process was similar to opening a grocery store. What he opened was called a banking company, and it was subject to no more state and federal rules and regulations than any retail business of that day. All it required was a head for business and the tenacity to stay with the undertaking until it succeeded. Things are a little different in the banking world today, according to John W. Cattle, Sr. Chairman of the Board and Chief Financial Officer of Cattle Bank & Trust until 1999. Now, the banking business is fraught with regulations at every turn and keeping an established bank running on the right track is more complicated than starting one from scratch, as in the early days of Seward.
Claudius Jones was born in 1826 in the state of New York to British parents. When he was in the early 30’s, he founded several banks in Illinois, one in Glava in 1858 and the First National Bank in Monmouth soon thereafter. He moved to Lincoln in 1871 and to Seward in 1873, where he founded what he called the State Bank of Nebraska.
SOUTH SIDE OF THE SQUARE
The Bank opened in a rental building on the south side of the square, approximately where the Movie Place Video stands now. Within a year however, Jones had moved the Bank into a building built especially for it at the southeast corner of the square. The building, occupied now by Helmink Printing, was constructed with bricks hauled overland from Nebraska City. It was one of the first brick buildings in town, and the fact that it is still in active use today is a tribute to the quality of its construction.
Claudius Jones suffered a serious illness which forced him to sell the Bank to a man named Oskabock in 1876 and the Bank changed hands again in 1881 when John Cattle and his three sons bought out Oskabock. The bank has been in the Cattle Family ever since.
John Cattle and his sons, Robert, John and Walter, had been farmers in England and they came to Nebraska in the 1870’s, lured by the chance to invest in inexpensive land. The British Steamship Company and the Burlington Railroad promoted land on the Great Plains, and the oldest Cattle son, Robert, took advantage of the company’s offer of a free trip to come to Nebraska and see the prospects for himself. Robert thought the land and opportunities looked good and the rest of the family followed him to Seward County where they bought railroad land north and west of Seward.
The Cattle Family bought the State Bank of Nebraska in 1881, but also continued to farm. When his wife died, and John decided to return to England, he instructed his son Walter to take over the bank. Walter’s son Robert T. Cattle, Sr. began to work in the bank after he finished law school in 1911. When Robert married Mercedes Brown in 1912, the Cattle Family became tied to the family of Claudius Jones, original founder of the Bank, since Mercedes Brown was Claudius’ granddaughter.
The State Bank of Nebraska was nationalized and took the name of The Cattle National Bank of Seward in 1930. Robert T. Cattle, Sr. became President of the bank in 1931 and served in that capacity until 1960 when his son, John W. Cattle, Sr., took over the presidency. John graduated from the University of Nebraska in 1940 and entered the service soon thereafter. He began working full time at the bank upon his discharge from the service in 1945. John, Sr. served as President and CEO of the bank for 32 years and during his tenure, also, served as the President of the Nebraska Bankers Association in 1971. His son, John W. Cattle, Jr. became President and CEO of the Bank in 1992 and served in this role until 2006. He currently serves the Bank as Chairman of the Board, a role that he has served in since 2006. Ryne D. Seaman became President and CEO in 2006 and currently serves in this position. Mr. Seaman joined the bank in 1989 and is the first non-family member to hold this position.
John W. Cattle Sr. passed away April 21, 1999 from complications during heart by-pass surgery. His wife, Virginia, has served on the Board of Directors since 1967 and currently serves as Chairperson Emeritus. Becky Vahle, John, Sr. and Virginia’s daughter, joined the bank in 1986 and currently serves as Vice President and Human Resources Officer and is, also, a member of the Board of Directors. Roger Cattle, the son of John W. Cattle, Jr., joined the Board of Directors in 2013.
The State Bank of Nebraska moved from its location on the southeast corner of the square sometime around the turn of the century and occupied part of the building where ETC. is now located. Sometime during those years, most of the structures on the north side of the square, nearly all which were wood frame buildings, burned. When the merchants rebuilt, the Cattle’s put up a building for their bank where Norval Brothers and Mullally Law Offices are located now. The bank remained in that location until 1951 when they bought Sampson’s Grocery store located on the corner of the square where the Bank parking lot is today. The grocery store was a two-story, 20 foot wide building, and the Cattle’s removed the top story, shored up the joists, left the foundation virtually intact and built back up to the joists, according to John Cattle, Sr. The bank acquired the Thomas Building immediately to the south of their 20 foot wide building in 1963 and the structure was torn down and the bank expanded south. In 1976 the Main Bank was remodeled and the Motor Bank, complete with solar heating and cooling systems, was constructed in 1978 at Fifth and Roberts Streets.
In 1995 the bank purchased three buildings to the south of the Main Bank that were previously occupied by Mullally Law Office, The Clock Bar and Rami’s Photography. These buildings were subsequently torn down and the vacated space plus the existing parking lot of the bank were the sight for the new Main Bank, located on the northeast corner of the historic downtown square. This facility is a two-story brick structure with 10,000+ square feet on each floor. The Cattle family, being very cognizant of the architecture of downtown Seward, designed the exterior of the facility to architecturally fit into the historic downtown business district and courthouse square that Seward is known for. The Bank moved into these new offices in August of 1997. In 2001, the bank applied for and received trust powers and shortly thereafter changed the name of the bank to The Cattle National Bank and Trust Company. In January of 2003, the bank expanded its physical foot print into Lincoln, Nebraska locating a branch facility in the Coddington Marketplace in southwest Lincoln. In May of 2012 the Bank opened a second Lincoln location in southeast Lincoln at 56th and Pine Lake Road in the Village Gardens development. In June of 2014, the bank opened a third Lincoln location in the Fallbrook MarketPlace in northwest Lincoln.
Today, the bank and its employees remain committed to the traditions under which it is founded, customer service and community focused.